These days of the mid-to-end of June have been very productive, with rivers and streams at good levels and cool evenings keeping water temperatures favorable for trout. Isonychias have been making their appearance in the afternoons, resulting in rising trout and successful fishing. In addition, good hatches of caddis flies and Blue-Winged Olives are about in the mornings and during the day; in the evenings the slate-colored Isonychias and lighter colored Sulphurs have kept fly-fishers on the stream until dark.

                      Fishing in Pepacton Reservoir continues to be productive. Our son Lee came home last Sunday and Monday to spend Father’s Day with his dad and went over with my husband – the two arrived later in the day but still managed to see some good action. Lee netted a few good fish - a nice brown trout, followed by a bass (which was released as the season wasn’t open yet) and then hooked into a fish so large it broke off one of the points on the treble hook attached to the Sutton Flutter Spoon he was trolling with!

(for the record, the Black Bass season for largemouth and smallmouth bass is now open, as of the third Saturday in June through November 30. There is a daily limit of five bass, with a minimum size limit of 12 inches.)

                       We arrived at the reservoir at about 10:00 am and fished for a couple of hours. It was the first time, of my three trips over these past few weeks, that conditions were fairly calm with little or no wind. The air temperature measured 65 degrees F and the surface water temperature was about 70 degrees F.  Seeing that we were a little short on silver lures, I decided to experiment and see if Lee’s Sutton Flutter Spoon, which no longer had a treble hook, but now just a double hook, could still catch fish. After an hour of trolling, we noticed a couple of rises along the rock shelf shoreline, and so I also cast a large streamer on a 9-foot fly rod, hoping to intersect with one of the rising fish. Up until that time, the most excitement we’d had was seeing a bald eagle soaring against the backdrop of the tree-lined green hills surrounding the reservoir.

            Suddenly the rod with the damaged Flutter Spoon jerked and almost took off out of the boat. I put the fly rod down and grabbed it, setting the hook – and then had a very enjoyable time reeling in the fish. It raced straight down, then came back up, and dove under the boat a couple of times,  a constant give-and-take before I was able to get it up into the net...... am happy to report that I managed to land, on the double hook, a 23-inch brown trout that weighed five pounds.  The experiment was a success!